Posted this amazing piece of Video over on the Facebooks, but I like it so much I thought I’d post it here as well. I think Florian Böhm, the creator the video, is an expat here in Bangkok as well. Have a look for now, and Tom has a podcast brewing in the kettle…..will be recording later today babies! 😉
- Welcome to episode 64
- Told you I’d do better
- A few relaxing days in Issarn (N.E. Thailand)
- Never try to out drink your father in law
- Tom’s beer of choice in Thailand
- Not a fan of bitter beer
- A 500 vs. 50 baht meal…
- Guess which one was is better??
- Flying around Thailand on a budget
- Things to be aware of…
- Tom LOVES questions from listeners
- Shout out to Paul J
- American vs. Thai culture
- Drawing from experience
- The 2 things you need to know
- Saving face and Kreng Jai
- These to aspects of culture affect everything
- Every day life and saving face
- Nothing is more important to Thais
- Saving face will drive you insane….trust me!
- The downfall of most expats…
- Arrogance on steroids
- Never saying sorry
- Kreng Jai = being super considerate to others
- Going out of your way not to make someone lose face
- Inconveniencing yourself
- not saying anything and smiling
- smiling isn’t always happy
- LEARN to read the smiles
- Deference to elders = not questioning them
- “Pee” older and “Nong” younger
- Age defines social relationships
- Younger NEVER questions older
- Referring to yourself in the 3rd person
- Tom’s 1st experience with culture differences
- It will drive you crazy if you let it
- Learning to let things go…take it easy
- Listener lurve on the facebooks!
- Thanks for hanging in there
- Closing out with an Issarn special
- One of my favorite Thai songs
- Look Tung or Thai country music
- The song is about a Thai country girl
- Doesn’t like her name….It’s country sounding!
- Have a great week babies!
Music on today’s show:
Khun-Lum-Yai – Looknok Supaporn
Subscribe to Tom in Thailand in Itunes: Click herehttp://traffic.libsyn.com/tominthailand/TIT_Podcast_64-Behind_the_Thai_Smile.mp3%20
(sorry for the poor sound quality….it’s been to long i guess)
- Welcome to episode 63
- Looooong over do for a new TIT cast
- Rebooting my life
- Difficult to know where to start it’s been so long…
- The joys of moving
- To buy or not to buy??
- It’s been a long 2 years
- Reflecting on rural Thai life
- And I thought we were laid back in the American South
- Bangkok vs. Thailand….2 completely different worlds
- Thailand elects 1st female Prime Minister….
- Want to be PM? Just start riots and burn down a few buildings
- Going home and then GOING HOME
- Long plane rides aren’t Tom’s favorite thing
- Trading the Big Mango for the Big Apple
- NYC never fails to disappoint
- Thai consulate and Visa matters
- What to do in NY…..Ya gotta see a Broadway show!
- Wicked….just wow!
- Onwards to Bama and the kin folk
- Babies and fireworks
- Summer Time in Alabama=Thailand hot
- Back to Bangkok for good
- The Big city inspires TIT
- Off to spend Thai Mother’s Day in Udon Thani with the in-laws
- Really want to get the podcast going regularly again
- Check me out on the Facebook!!!
- Lurve to my listeners!
- Big thanks to Ernest for a lovely dinner 🙂
- The usual rambling closing remarks
Music on today’s show:
Movin’ On Up – Ja’net Dubois and Oren Waters for Jefferson’s Intro.
For Good – Idina Menzel & Kristin Chenoweth in Wicked
Subscribe to Tom in Thailand in Itunes: Click herehttp://traffic.libsyn.com/tominthailand/TIT_Podcast_63-Moving_on_Up.mp3%20